5.13.2010

Responsibilities

In part of bringing my small number of readers together, I'm going to share with you some thoughts that I have been juggling on my head and would love for you to respond off of each other.

If you ever have formed a task oriented group, you often find certain individuals taking certain roles; whether they are self prompted or urged by others. It is often one or two individual takes command and charge, assuming that the some members of the group is remotely productive and the rest some how falls in line.

That leader, whether they are formally recognized as the leader or not by the group, is placed in a position to take responsibility for the success and failure of the task on hand. The leader is often sought to assist in duties belonging to others. The perception of success in completing the task at the end of the day, in reality comes down to does that leader take on his or her share of responsibility and filling in the holes left from others.

I guess to be more thorough, I'm talking about situations where leaders step up to fill in a void versus being appointed to fill in the void. To be more clear, the difference between the two is one who unintentionally finds his/her way to becoming the leader versus and the other who intentionally desires.

If you are still reading this, you probably would have guessed that this some how relates back to me. What my thoughts concerning this subject really come down to is the responsibility and expectation that is placed on a leader. Is it fair to put certain responsibilities on certain individuals over others, simply because one happens to be the one to initiate and be the vocal one in the group? Is that why people try shy away and keep quiet in groups in fear of the consequences of stepping up?

I am finding it hard to say no to responsibilities. I do realize that as an intern with the ministry in one way or another I am leading and have accepted certain responsibilities. However, does that necessarily equate into myself being responsible for other people's thoughts, response, or lack of one?

Share your thoughts! What are your thoughts and perception as a leader? Socially what are the certain expectations placed on them and is it fair to do so? What is your expectation as a leader?

No comments:

Post a Comment